Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Apples and Pumpkins and Pies... oh my!

Fall... to continue from last week. Such a vast selection of wonderful 'comfort' foods available right now. All of these foods are my favourites! Yesterday, I worked from home and was craving fresh baked scones! So, I made them! I ate one, fresh and hot from the oven... with blueberry preserves on it. Oh so delicious! But, that left 7 more to be eaten. Quickly,I called a friend and she came for coffee... and I forced her to eat at least 2 scones! Thankfully, she did just that - with lots of coaxing. But, that left 5 more! I'll stop there.

I think what scares me the most about fall is the abundance of the fall harvest! I love apples, apple pies, apple crisp, apple cake, apple..... you get the picture. I also love pumpkins! Fresh pumpkin pie, pumpkim muffins, pumpkin cookies, and so on. But I also love all the other fall squashes too. To hopefully stave off a mad eating frenzy this week, I selected two squashes when I was grocery shopping - one an acorn squash and the other a spaghetti squash. The spaghetti squash I cooked by cutting in half lengthways, and turning it (cut side down) in a water bath of about 1" in the oven. It came out wonderful... and then I fought the urge to use butter, salt & pepper over that and instead opted to scrape it out (spaghetti style) and top it with some warmed salsa. It was delicious - and zero points. I was not as successful with the acorn squash - which I grilled on my bbq with dabs of butter and maple syrup. Oh so incredibly delicious when it was done. I think there was about 2 tbsp of butter on each half. I ate about 1/4 of the squash.

I also have a pumpkin to cook up and turn into something wonderful as well. Probably pie. I did find a recipe for pumpkin 'pudding' which is basically pumpkin pie without the crust, cooked in one bowl and then scooped out into individual servings. That would be a better choice for me. I'll have to think that one through a bit.

As I write this, I'm eating a Raspberry Yogurt.... it's not nearly as delicious as a slice of fresh from the oven apple pie, or pumpkin pie.... so I'm trying to think of it as raspberry "mousse"... but it's not working.

I am tracking this week. sort of. At least, when I remember. But yes, I am doing the math in my head which as you may or may not know is a very scary place! So, I'll go back to work now and forget about what awaits me at home tonight.

In them meantime....

Pass the pie!

No comments: