Monday, February 2, 2009

Superbowl, supersize, super disaster!

What do nachos, chili, hot wings, perogi's, and football all have in common? Ya, Superbowl Sunday! Why do they call it superbowl? I mean the trophy isn't shaped like a bowl, as the Stanley CUP and the Grey CUP are! So why 'bowl'?

My theory? Simple... it's because of the HUGE bowls of food that you eat around these events!
Last night my husband and I went to a neighbour's house to watch the superbowl. we consumed all of the above foods plus some (crackers & various cheeses, grapes, strawberries.... veggies & dip, etc.) None of the foods were low fat - okay with the exception of the wee bits of fruit and veggies. The one healthy choice I made was to drink mineral water rather than anything alcoholic or high in sugar, although my neighbour did try to get me to drink... she even poured me a drink which sat in front of me the entire night. At the end of the evening she apologized for trying to force it down my throat!

So, superbowl, supersize, super disaster! My eating.... argh... what can I say? I love wings!! I was able to stand up against the urge to eat nachos... they were so laden in cheese I could feel my arteries clogging just by looking at them. I tried to put a few on my plate but about 1/4 lb of cheese came with it... so I left it - untouched - on my plate. The wings however... wow, at 3 points each, I think I ate an entire day of points in just the wings! sigh...

Thankfully today is Monday and I have all week to eat healthy before weighing in on Saturday. I can do this!

No comments: