Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday

Fat Tuesday... the mere sound of that sends shivers up my spine. Today is the day we are supposed to indulge in 'fatness' in preparation for Ash Wednesday... or as it is better known, the start of Lent. So in keeping with a healthy lifestyle, today the cafeteria at the hospital is serving pancakes, bacon, sausages, etc. Strangely Fat Tuesday never really held a fascination over me. The one day of the year that I am NOT obsessed with food, I think. I guess the purpose is to fatten yourself up so that you can live off that fat during lent. Not entirely sure. Sounds reasonable though.

So, here's the problem. What happens when Fat Tuesday started in 1997? I did go through a "lean" period for about 2 years (2002-2003) when I was just 5 pounds away from my ultimate goal weight. Sigh. Really I'm living in Fat Decade. I figure lent can last for about 15 years now! I've got enough padding to see to it that I don't waste away to nothingness. This week at weigh in, I was up 1.6 lbs. That's my first gain in a while, well, since Fat Christmas anyway. I'm calling it Fat Setback. In order to discipline myself to get through this week, I found a new route into work - one that goes right through the centre of just about every underground food court imaginable. I found a Great Canadian Bagel! I thought they were out of business! I was so excited I had to buy a Cheddar Jalapeno Bagel, toasted, with butter. *Note my self control in not getting cream cheese. Hey I'll take every little plus I can! Okay, thought I, one bagel is not going to hurt me. The next day... I had a Cheddar Jalapeno Bagel, toasted, with butter... and a muffin when I got to work. I'm on a downward spiral.

Today - I took the subway! No underground walking which I foolishly call exercise! I did stop at Timmies and got an herbal tea and no muffin, no bagel, nothing. Today, it is Fat Tuesday. Today I will be like Jack Sprat who could eat no fat. Unfortunately the rest of the week I'm more like his wife who could eat no lean!

Today, I am very aware that fatness is all around me (and apparently stuck to my thighs and butt), today I made my lunch, which is lean, and I have it here with me. Today, on Fat Tuesday, I am JACK SPRAT!!!

Tomorrow.... well, that's another story.....

No comments: