Friday, August 15, 2008

Funerals, and those little sandwiches!

My former father-in-law passed away this week. We've never had a close relationship, but I did like the man. He was a good man. In his later years, I found a new appreciation for him. My children will miss him dearly.

The funeral is saturday morning - which means I miss my saturday morning weigh-in for the second week in a row. and the next two saturdays I have weddings out of town...makes it four weeks! Ugh. I'll have to weigh-in tonight.

If my scales are right at home (honest, i have NOT adjusted the numbers!) I think I've lost 2 pounds this week. Woohoo! Okay, so I gained 13 over the summer, so I'm still UP 11, but hey, I'm down 2. Are you following me? Up down up down. Right now I'm down so let's just keep the trend going.

Funerals - as much as I really do not like attending funerals - and who does? I mean, does anyone actually say "Oh boy! A funeral!!!" - I always like the little reception afterwards. Those little sandwiches! I love those! I know, they are JUST sandwiches... but for some strange reason, they always taste so good after a funeral. Maybe it's because you really appreciate life at that point, and the taste of "life" is in everything you see and eat. Those little egg sandwiches? Oh yummy! Perhaps it's best if I skip the reception? I can't do that. It would be rude. Okay, so I'll go, with my husband and my children, and politely turn down the food. Ya, right! Okay, so I'll LIMIT myself to two of those wee sandwiches. TWO (that's like asking for a toothpick and a glass of water!) I can do this! I can stick to plan.

It's been a weird week for me. Edmonton, Niagara-on-the-lake, home, work, preparing for a funeral. Weird week.

It's almost lunch time, and I'm looking forward to my fresh cherries and my yogurt. The taste of life. The tastes of summer are so refreshing. I am appreciating taste today.

Hey, another thought to share. I was in Edmonton (like I already said) for work and I also took in the Partylite National Conference while I was there. Listened to Cassie Campbell (captain of the Canadian Women's Olympic Hockey team, saw them to 2 gold medals in 2002 and 2006). Cassie gave some interesting life lessons that she learned over her career as an olympian and a team player. There were several, I can only recall a few!
1. Choose to go the distance every day. Make the decision - make the choice.
2. Embrace challenges. Challenges give us motiviation, they keep us from being complacent.
3. WAR - We Are Responsible! As a team, we are responsible for pulling together.
4. Celebrate success!
5. Celebrate the hard work! No matter if you win or lose, you worked hard - CELEBRATE!
6. Do not underestimate the importance of appreciation. Accept it graciously. Give it abundantly!

There were several more and if I could find my notes, I will post them.

I'll look for my notes.... after I have a few of those little sandwiches!

No comments: