Sunday, July 19, 2009

Playing in the Sandbox

After the beach analogy yesterday, thought I'd continue for a bit....

Boundaries are good. They provide safety. This week, I've decided to play not on the beach but safely within the sandbox. Here, there are no waves to destroy what i'm building. Here, it's fun and easy.

Day 2 of the new improved me. So far so good. Playing in the sandbox is good. It's safe.
Yesterday I stayed on plan (except for dessert for supper.... don't even ask!) We had dinner at a friend's house - a friend who knew I was on Weight Watchers and cooked a "ww friendly" meal, or so she thought. So, we had this delicious chicken cooked on the rotisserie of their bbq. Two chickens actually, for 5 people. When the pieces were passed around on a platter, I chose a breast. Immediately I took of the wing and handed it to my husband. Then before I got to taste the wonderful crisp skin, I took it off! The chicken beneath was delicious. And enough. The meal was served with three different salads, one a potatoe salad made with a vinegar dressing rather than mayo! Thanks Vicki! You're great! The other two salads consisted of a green leafy salad with lots of delicious veggies in it (which I had with a fat free dressing) and a broccoli/cabbage salad with cranberries and *gulp* bacon! I picked out the bacon. The dressing was a fat free based dressing (I was told!) So far, so good. I had one piece of bread - homemade by my hostess - spelt bread with flax seed. Delicious although rather dense. I did have 1 tsp of butter with it... it needed it! Now, the dessert.... sigh... a frozen concoction made up of a graham crust, topped with sliced banana, then vanilla ice cream, and finally a fudge topping (melted chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, etc.sigh) all frozen and cut into squares. I had one square, the smallest one that she cut. I have no idea how to count that. Really. So I asked her for the recipe - that way I can figure it out and record it under my flex points for the week.

That was it. No extras. I drank water with my meal. I feel all in all, I had a successful rebirth in the sandbox!

Today even better. Trish (at WW) suggested that for the next two weeks I use the preplanned menus in the week 1 book. I am. this morning I choose a breakfast off the list - 1 cup fat free plain yogurt with 1 cup sliced strawberries. I thought I'd be starving afterwards. I wasn't. For lunch, I choose 1 cup of black bean soup - very delicious and very low in both fat and points (2 pts) while very high in fibre. That was followed with another cup of plain fat free yogurt and 1 sliced banana. Again, I was satisfied! I've planned out dinner for tonight - Teriyaki Pork tenderloin, baked sweet potato, broccoli. (8 pts). for my 'snack' I'm going to have sliced strawberries (1 cup) with angel food cake (2 points) for a 3 point snack (or dessert) after dinner. total points for today = 20.

Now, I am sitting and enjoying a cup of herbal tea.
I am enjoying the safety of the sandbox. I'll play here all week.

Next week, I may take a step outside the sandbox and plan my own meals again. But for now, it's a no brainer. And I need that! The sand is warm and inviting... and very satisfying. Just one comment....

I think I may have left my pail and shovel at the beach!

No comments: