Saturday, July 18, 2009

A line in the sand.....

As a child I loved going to the beach, playing in the sand, building castles, and having fun. The sand nearest the water was the best because it was cool on your feet and you could really dig deep without the sides caving in. Not much effort was needed! The dry sand wasn't as much fun - it was hot and dry, and it required work! You couldn't build with it unless you added water But oh, the wet sand.... it was a delight. Sometimes you would get your 'castle' almost to the place where it was just about perfect... just that one more bit and it would be there! Inevitably, a wave would sweep ashore and wash away the castle. I remember just sitting in the wet sand, where my beautiful castle had once been, crying. The problem is that I built my sand castle too close to the water line, too close to where 'danger' would come and take it away. If I had just used the other sand location - the one a little further away from the waterline - my castle would be safe! I'd dig through the dry sand - the hard work - and then get to the cooler and wetter sand below! How satisfying it felt to build my castle on a firmer foundation! When the waves did come often just a little water would wear away a corner of the castle, but the castle stood!!

Sometimes I feel like I'm a sand castle. I work on something until I just about get it right and then a giant wave comes in and washes my efforts away. These past two weeks have been just like that for me. Okay, truthfully, it's been more than two weeks, but lets not quibble over timelines! The problem is that I build my 'weight loss' sand castle too close to the waterline. In weight loss terms, I mean that I like the fast easy route! But with the fast easy track it means that danger is always close by because I'm always along the waterline, the danger zone, where temptations lurk waiting to wash away my efforts. I know the dangers are there but I still flirt with the line! Then, when a wave comes in - holidays, business trips, backyard bbq's, special events - I allow the wave to wash away everything I've been working toward. And I sit and cry! If I could only learn to plan better, just like the sand castle experiment as a child, then when the waves come (and they will come!) the work that I've done won't be totally lost, maybe just a tiny corner (a pound? pound and a half?) rather than the heartbreaking gain that makes you want to sit and cry!

This week, a line has been drawn in the sand! I'm starting fresh and in a place where I can see - truly see - where the waves are and learn to steer clear! This week, my castle gets built - starting on a much firmer foundation. This week, I won't allow the waves to destroy me! I've prepared in advance. I've got a plan. I've got enthusiasm back. I've got...

oh wait..... Just one problem.... I've got some sand in my bathing suit! Dang!

No comments: