Saturday, May 21, 2011

Stubborn Stupid Scarbs (the "s" is silent on the carbs)

I've been very frustrated with my non weight-loss these past several months.  I've been good - very good - and the weight stubbornly stays on.  What is with that?  Then, of course, there was the news report on various 'weight loss' programs, and wouldn't you know it, my beloved Weight Watchers came in no where near the top!  Number 1 was Jenny Craig.  For about 4 days I contemplated switching.  Seriously.  No brainer - they give you what you should eat, no guess work. Rated very highly for nutritional value and taste.  Sounds perfect.....Until....the reality of my budget woke me up from my pathetic little food coma.....

What to do, what to do....

About 2 weeks ago I spent a business week in Calgary. On the final day of my visit, I stayed with a dear friend, Jess, who is a certified naturopathic nutritionist.  I shared my struggle to lose weight, or rather my success at not losing weight (glass half full, glass half empty?).  She shared some insights, mostly the way I eat or what I eat with what. For example - don't pair protein with carbs, ever. Ever.  EVER.  So, after this past week I decided to give it a try.  I started my food 'revolution' on Friday morning in Ottawa.  Here it goes.... 

First, I ordered breakfast.  I was at the Westin Hotel in Ottawa.  Beautiful property! If you are going to stay at a hotel, I highly recommend a Westin, they have a menu that is much easier to eat healthy from.  Seriously! Anyway, I had an egg-white omelet with broccoli and a few pieces of cut up fruit.  I opted not to have the hash brown potatoes with the omelet.  Added a very small glass of O.J. (probably closer to about 1/2 cup), and some herbal tea, no milk.  Day one, meal one.  Success!


But my success was short-lived.   I was on the train and in business class lunch is served to you.  But I did make some good choices, other than the bread....and wine.  ARGH.... CARBS!!!!  and WINE!

Okay, dinner - back on track.  My husband and I went to Swiss Chalet, yum.  I ordered the spinach salad with slices of cold chicken breast and fat-free raspberry vinaigrette. The salad comes with these yummy deep-fried tortilla strips.  I pulled them all off. No dessert.  No carbs.  Club Soda to drink.  Success - twice in the same day.

Now, for those who know me, you will know that my daughter is getting married this July (71 days actually).  I ordered a dress from Nordstrom's, online.  It's beautiful!  It came while I was in Ottawa.  I tried it on after our dinner on Friday evening - I couldn't zip it up.  I looked in the mirror and hated myself, my body, my lack of self-control.  Then, I realized that yes, I COULD fit into it if I was truly dedicated to working out and losing weight.  So... here we go.

Today, weigh in....Weigh in was not great, but I was down... a whopping 0.2.  I'll take it for week one. 
Breakfast - at our favourite place - but I made good choices - 1 poached egg (it came with 2 eggs, I gave one to my husband), 1 slice toast (yes, I had carbs with my protein, BAD Heather!) - I gave my 2nd piece of toast to my husband who I now named my 'recycling bin'.  I had peameal (one slice and you know where the 2nd slice went), and opted for no home fries, and instead had sliced tomatoes.  Other than pairing the toast with my protein - it was a good breakfast, and good choices.

Lunch - fat free yogurt and fresh berries.  Yea!

Dinner - steak... I only had 4 oz of it, no baked potatoes (the rest of the family had those) tossed green salad, steamed asparagus, steamed broccoli.  HUGE success.  (My dinner was a whopping 5 points!)

Now, late in the evening, I'm having a snack - 1 cup of skim milk with 1/2 frozen banana - blended into a delicious mock-smoothie.  Points = 2.  Total points for the day = 19.

Basically, the food pairing that my nutritionist friend told me about was do not, ever, pair protein with carbs.  You can still have carbs, just don't have them with protein, and don't overdo the carbs.  I'm giving it a whirl this week.

I'm determined to get into that dress... come hell or high water!


I'll let you know how it goes....  stay tuned!

No comments: