Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I feel appreciated.

Today was staff appreciation day at the hospital. To show how much the executive management team appreciates everyone, they threw a lavish breakfast free of charge for all staff. At first I thought I would be strong and not attend. Breakfast ended at 9:30. I got in the line at 9:05.

*sigh*

After working my way slowly from the very back of the line, which was at least a mile from the actual food line, I finally made it to the front. A few squirts of hand sanitizer (mandatory) and a handshake from the hospital CEO, and I was in!

I picked up my biodegradable container (as if that's supposed to make me feel better) and the first thing that got plopped into it was some sort of an egg and cheese thing. I think it was trying to be an omlette. It definitely wasn't fluffy like mine! But hey, when you're feeding a thousand or so people, I guess rubbery is ok. Next, I had my choice of either three strips of bacon (mmmm bacon, I haven't had real bacon in over a year) or two sausages. I chose sausages! It didn't disappointment me. They were sufficiently fatty enough to be absolutely delicious! Then came the home fries - deep fried of course, followed by pastry. I chose the plain croissant rather than the danish, or the chocolate croissant. It, too, was delicious. Finally, I picked up a pre-packed bag of apple slices (my only healthy choice!). I made my way to the 'beverage' station where I picked up my coffee and some juice, cranberry this time, grabbed my cutlery and headed back to my office, where I absolutely wolfed it down. You would think I hadn't eaten in years the way I devoured that stuff. It wasn't even THAT delicious, it was just, well, free!

So, now here I sit. Stuffed with food that was, in retrospect, not all that good - I could have done better. But, it's staff appreciation day, and so I suppose the handshake and the "thank you for everything you do" comment made me feel appreciated, even if my arteries are clogging as I type.

Which way is it to emergency?

No comments: